Motor Vehicle Department Saturday hours available by appointment at the North Office Expanded Phone Bank Call 719-520-6240 for Motor Vehicle Needs

Motor Vehicle Department

The El Paso County Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for certification of motor vehicle titles and registrations and acts as a division of the Colorado State Department of Revenue. We also renew Colorado Driver’s Licenses and offer other select driver’s license services.

We have four office locations throughout the county that provide motor vehicle and driver’s license services Monday through Friday. In addition, the North Office (Union Blvd. & Research Pkwy.) is open Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

General Motor Vehicle Information:

Main Office:
1675 West Garden of the Gods Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Director of Motor Vehicle: Kelly Lindgren
Telephone: (719) 520-6240


Click Here to Schedule

Need help scheduling an appointment?

Click here.

Need help rescheduling or cancelling an appointment?

Click here.

Job openings are available in our Motor Vehicle Department. If you are interested in exploring a career in the
Clerk and Recorder’s Office, visit
Only El Paso County residents may schedule an appointment for service.
Motor vehicle registration renewals are only available by phone, mail, self-serve kiosk and online. Due to the severe labor shortage, registration renewals will not be done in the office. This policy allows our staff to assist customers with more time-intensive complex motor vehicle transactions. Please see the Vehicle Renewals tab for more information.
We strongly encourage you to “Skip the Trip” and conduct vehicle registration safely by kiosk, online, mail, or phone. Many online services available here
Appointment Scheduling — Appointments may be made for limited driver’s license service and the following motor vehicle transactions: title services, first-time registrations with license plate or credit transfer, issuance of disability parking privileges. Due to the extreme labor staffing shortage, we ask that registration renewals be performed via kiosk, online, mail, or phone.
    • An appointment for an incorrect service will not be honored.
    • Limit one transaction per appointment.
    • Admittance is limited to the person(s) necessary to complete the transaction.
    • You must provide a 24-hour notice to cancel or jeopardize your ability to schedule future appointments.
Legal Compliance – Due to COVID-19 restrictions, you should plan ahead to maintain compliant identification and registration documents to avoid civil fines from law enforcement. Please maintain current registration. Registrations are due on or before their expirations.
Thank you for your consideration and patience.

Our Motor Vehicle offices are open for in-person service by appointment only. Please refer to the Notice Box above this section for information on the process and the Appointment Scheduler tab to make an appointment.

Wait times at the office you visit are dependent on the length of time required for each appointment. Our Clerks are efficient and expedite service so that we stay on schedule and keep wait times to a minimal amount. We do not take walk-in customers.

We also encourage you to “Skip the Trip” to our office and use online services at Thank you!

The Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles offers numerous online services. Some of the most frequently used are linked by the tabs below. Additional information is available on our Statewide Motor Vehicle Online Services page.

Gov2Go is an app offered by the El Paso County Motor Vehicle Office that allows you to renew your registration on your cell phone. It sends a reminder when your license plate tags are due. Your tags will be mailed and you can show your stored electronic receipt if needed.

Due to the severe labor shortage, registration renewals will not be done in the office. This policy allows our staff to assist customers with more time-intensive complex motor vehicle transactions. We require renewals to be done at a convenient kiosk, online, by mail, phone or the App Gov2Go. Use of the kiosk is easy and allows you to be on your way in minutes. Military customers as noted below will be served in the office to ensure compliance documents are properly submitted.

  • Renew online by following this link
  • Renew by mail using the information you received from our office in the mail
  • Renew by phone by calling 719-520-6240
  • Active Duty Military using the Non-residence and Military Service Exemption from Specific Ownership Tax option may only renew in the office or by mail. Details available here

Renewal postcards are mailed out at the beginning of the month of expiration.

If you no longer own the vehicle, you may voluntarily notify the State DMV within five days of transfer of ownership at (under Vehicle Services, Report Release of Liability) to release your liability for the new owner’s actions. Then, you can disregard the notice.

The following information may be useful to you when registering your vehicle in Colorado.

  • The Calculator provides estimated fees based on the data you enter about the vehicle.
  • Insurance Requirements details the process for establishing proof of insurance and other stipulations.

Please also refer to the tabs on the Motor Vehicle main page “Individual or Dealer Purchase” and “Titles”.

Refer to our Driver’s License Customer Guide for helpful information.

El Paso County Motor Vehicle offers the following driver’s license services:

  • Renewal of a Colorado Driver’s License (not Commercial Driver’s License)
  • Renewal of a Colorado Identification Card
  • Transfer of a Driver’s License from another state (upon surrender of existing DL)
  • Process name and/or address changes (upon surrender of existing DL or Colorado ID card)
  • Replacement of a Colorado lost or stolen adult Driver’s License

The Clerk’s Office is authorized to offer the following five services, with a $5.00 County Service fee in addition to the State fees.

  • Colorado Identification Card – renewal, replacement, or out-of-state transfer
  • Colorado Driver’s Permit – renewal, replacement, or out-of-state transfer
  • Motor Vehicle Record
  • Motorcycle Endorsement (must present proof of completed Motorcycle Safety Foundation course)
  • Replacement Driver’s License

Visit the State Division of Motor Vehicle for the following services:

  • New Driver’s License or Identification Card
  • Written or driving test
  • New motorcycle licenses (if completed through the State program)
  • Reinstatements
  • New and/or renew Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDL)

All registered vehicles in Colorado must display license plates. Colorado has standard issue and special plates available. Additionally, many plate styles can be personalized.

View the following link to see the list of available plates: License Plate Details

Click on the License Plates – Print on Demand tab below for information about requesting non-standard Colorado license plates.

A person applying for a disability placard or license plate may visit any of the El Paso County Motor Vehicle Offices. This transaction also may be done through the mail, for the convenience of those who wish not to come into an office. Click on the tab Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges below.

Did you recently purchase a vehicle from an individual or a dealership?

If you have recently purchased a vehicle, registration must be obtained within 60 days (C.R.S. 42-3-103).

If you are planning to purchase a vehicle from a private party, we recommend you schedule an appointment to review the titling process with our clerk before purchasing. You may cancel or reschedule the appointment if necessary.

Refer to our Motor Vehicle Customer Guide for helpful information. The resources below will help you complete the process!

The following links offer resources on titles – including the title complete notice, secure and verifiable identification information, bonding packets, and information for dealerships.

Additional information and resources for Motor Vehicle, including answers to your questions.

Unofficial Motor Vehicle Websites

When searching websites for motor vehicle information, you are cautioned to be sure the site is associated with the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles. Learn about unofficial motor vehicle websites.

Additional Resources