New Resident Requirements

In Colorado, the law requires that motor vehicle registration be obtained within 90 days of becoming a resident (you are a resident when you start to work, start a business, or live within the county). The Motor Vehicle Department has compiled the following documentation list to assist new residents with their first visit to our office. Depending on circumstances, additional documentation may be required at the time of registration. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Motor Vehicle Department via email at

Late fees apply ($25.00/month up to $100) for registrations not completed within the 90-day period of becoming a resident.


  • Title and/or current out-of-state registration if the title is held by a lien holder. If the registration has been expired for more than six months, you must provide the title or a photocopy of the title from the lien holder.
  • Proof of Residency: Complete Colorado Residency Establishment form DR2504, and Proof of Residency.
  • A VIN Verification Form (DR2698) completed by a Colorado law enforcement officer, a licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer, a licensed Colorado emissions testing station, or military base security. Contact services individually for hours, prices, and to schedule an appointment.
  • Proof of a current Colorado vehicle emissions test (diesel only).
  • All trucks with an empty weight between 4,500 and 10,000 pounds require a weight slip, unless the weight appears on the out-of-state title and/or registration and modifications have not exceeded over or under 300 lbs.
  • Odometer reading at time of original purchase, if reading does not appear on the title/registration.
  • Proof of Colorado insurance coverage. Use this link for more information on Insurance Requirements.
  • Secure and Verifiable Identification.
  • If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, all owners are required to declare their intent to have the Certificate of Title issued in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. This may be accomplished by completing the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent Form (DR2395).