Recording Department

The Recording Department is responsible for recording, indexing, copying, and preserving permanent public documents – primarily real estate records. Our Recording office also is where you go to get a marriage or civil union license in El Paso County. And if you need a release of your military records – come see us! We look forward to serving you!

General Recording Information:
(719) 520-6200

Main Office:
1675 West Garden of the Gods Road
Entrance on west exterior of the building
Colorado Springs, CO 80907

Recording Manager: Jimmie Van Buskirk
Telephone: (719) 520-6200


The North Branch will be closed on Saturday, May 27, in observance of Memorial Day weekend.


The Fort Carson branch will be temporarily closed May 8 through June 9. It will reopen on June 12. Please visit another branch for motor vehicle, driver’s license, marriage license and recording services.
The Recording Department offers in-person service at all office locations Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and at the North Branch on Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Services include recording documents and marriage and civil union licenses. The couple should complete our online marriage application before visiting a branch office to finalize. Copy searches and plat maps are available only at the main office, Citizens Service Center.
You also may drop off documents to record in the drop box outside the east entrance of the Main Office. Seal your envelope, include payment if applicable and your contact information. Another option is to mail your documents to: Recording Department, Clerk and Recorder’s Office, 1675 W. Garden of the Gods Rd., Colorado Springs, CO 80907.
Please contact us for further information by email or call 719-520-6200. Thank you for your consideration and patience.

Licenses are good for up to 35 days. Once you’re married, the officiant must get the completed marriage certificate back to our office within 63 days. The following links provide additional information on all the steps!

Please note, for information related to divorce, contact the Colorado Fourth Judicial District, (719) 452-5000.

The following links you to the El Paso County Official Public Records Search.

Images of recorded documents are not available on our website.

To search marriages recorded from 05/01/1991 to present, use the Marriage/Civil Union Records Search page.

We have several forms available for marriage/civil union forms, real estate forms, and copy request forms, among others. Follow the link below!

You also may request a copy of a document by emailing, 719-520-6198. For in-person service visit our main office at 1675 W. Garden of the Gods Road, Suite 1079.

Thank you for your service! To receive a DD Form 214, the following requirements must be followed:

  • All requests for DD Form 214 must now be accompanied by a written request form (see below), and a picture ID. Copies will only be distributed to the veteran listed, or to his or her next of kin.
  • Lawyers, doctors, historians, etc., may request copies of a DD Form 214 with signed authorization from the veteran or next of kin

Copies are free, and there is no charge to record a DD-214

Please contact the Recording Department at (719) 520-6200 or via email ( with any questions!

Additional links and resources for Recording information

Use our online resources to shorten or save a trip!

For individual copies of documents, please see the Forms Library tab.

The Recording Department offers in-person service at all locations, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and at the North Office on Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Call our office at (719) 520-6200 if you have questions.

Please contact us with any questions!

Recording ManagerJimmie Van Buskirk – (719) 520-7074

Recording Assistant ManagerHeidi Benson – (719) 520-6232

Customer Service – (719) 520-6200 – (719) 520-6198

eRecording Jimmie Van Buskirk – (719) 520-7074

Information pertaining to the CLERK TO THE COURT (including divorces, child support, adoption, criminal and civil cases, transcripts, jury duty, name changes) may be obtained at the Colorado Fourth Judicial District, (719) 452-5000.

Information on birth and death records may be obtained through the El Paso County Public Health Department, (719) 575-8492.