Individual Purchase

Purchasing a vehicle from an individual may have advantages and can give you a good deal. That is usually the case. However, there may be circumstances that will prevent our office from titling your vehicle.

If you are planning to purchase a vehicle from a private party we recommend reviewing the titling process before purchase by speaking to a Motor Vehicle Technician at any of our branch offices or by phone at 719-520-6240.

Be cautious and check the vehicle’s VIN to learn the history before you purchase the vehicle. Websites you may use are below. Contact our office with any questions before purchasing.





Our clerks will verify the title of the vehicle you’re purchasing in the nationwide database. If the title indicates “salvage” or “parts only” it cannot be registered.

Protect yourself with a “buyer beware” approach to the purchase deal. Meet the seller in an open, public space and obtain all the facts needed about the vehicle. When you’re satisfied, finalize the transaction at one of our motor vehicle offices.

The title must be transferred correctly and the signature of the seller must be affixed to the proper place on the title.

When purchasing a vehicle from an individual, you must submit the following documents:

  • A current title properly endorsed by the previous owner(s) to the purchaser.
  • If the vehicle has an out-of-state title, a completed VIN Verification Form DR2698.
  • If the title doesn’t have a space on the title assignment for a purchase price, a bill of sale is recommended.
  • Obtain a Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale, MV039, to be completed between the seller and buyer. The MV039 form is ONLY available through El Paso County and cannot be accessed through the State website.
  • Proof of current Colorado insurance; must reflect year, make and VIN of vehicle being registered. Use this link for more information on Insurance Requirements.
  • Secure and Verifiable Identification.
  • If the vehicle is being financed, a copy of the loan document (Security Agreement or Chattel Mortgage).
  • If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, all owners are required to declare their intent to have the Certificate of Title issued in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. This may be accomplished by completing the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent Form (DR2395).

NOTE: This list includes the basic forms which are required. Additional documentation may be needed after the paperwork is reviewed.