Purchase from an Out-of-State Dealership

If you purchased your vehicle from an out-of-state dealership, the dealership usually will send you the following documents. In some instances, the dealership will submit them to the Motor Vehicle Office. If the paperwork is submitted to the Motor Vehicle Office, you will receive a Title Complete Notice once it has been processed.

  • A current title properly endorsed by the previous owner(s) to the purchaser.
  • A completed VIN Verification Form DR2698.
  • Sales tax receipt or a purchase order/bill of sale.
  • Proof of current Colorado insurance; must reflect year, make and VIN of vehicle being registered.
  • Secure and Verifiable Identification.
  • If the vehicle is being financed, a copy of the loan document (Security Agreement or Chattel Mortgage).
  • A completed Application for Colorado title DR2395. If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, all owners are required to declare their intent to have the Certificate of Title issued in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. This may be accomplished by completing the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent Form (DR2395). This form can be completed at the Motor Vehicle Office at the time of title/registration.

NOTE: This list includes the basic forms which are required. Additional documentation may be needed after the paperwork is reviewed.