Military Non-Residents

The Clerk and Recorder’s Office wants to facilitate vehicle registration for our military personnel transitioning into the area. Information on this page will provide instruction on the Military Non-Resident Tax Exemption program.

You also will find additional information for vehicle registration on these pages of our website:

New Resident Requirements

Purchasing a Vehicle from an Individual or from a Dealership

Frequently Asked Questions

Please contact our Motor Vehicle Office with questions and our staff will be glad to assist. Email or phone 520-6240.



  • You are an active duty military member assigned to a duty station in Colorado; OR
  • You are assigned to a unit in Colorado from which you were then assigned to an unaccompanied/remote duty station.

NOTE: The tax exemption is only valid for OWNERSHIP TAXES in Colorado.

Please use the following as a checklist to ensure all documentation is completed.

  • A copy of your orders stationing you at a military facility in Colorado is required.
  • A military ID card is required.
  • An end-of-month Leave and Earning Statement (LES) within the last three months is required. It must show a tax withholding state other than Colorado.


  • You must be either the active duty military member OR a lawful agent with power of attorney to execute the affidavit.
    (Please provide a copy of the general power of attorney or original if a specific power of attorney is used.)
  • This affidavit is valid for 60 days from the execution date.
  • A separate affidavit must be provided for each vehicle AND renewed on an annual basis.
  • Renewals are only processed in person, by drop, or by mail.
  • This affidavit may be obtained from your legal office on base or the Motor Vehicle Office.
  • Affidavit of Non-Residence DR 2667.

All other new resident requirements apply.

NOTE: It is the responsibility of each military member to request and ensure that he or she receives the military non-residency exemption as our office has a 30-day refund policy on ownership tax paid in error. Further questions may be answered by contacting the Motor Vehicle Department via email at

Colorado Registration Renewal Drop-off Procedures for Active Duty Military Non-Residents

Requirements for Renewal

You may use drop-off boxes at our branch locations to renew your vehicle registration. The envelope containing your information must include the following:

  • Copy of Military ID
  • Registration renewal notice
  • Copy of the vehicle’s insurance
  • Diesel emissions test, if applicable. Will be notated on the renewal notice

  • Check or money order made payable to County Clerk in the amount of the license fee notated on the registration renewal notice

    • No cash payments

  • Copy of orders assigning the military service member to a Colorado military installation
  • Copy of the end of month Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) indicating the tax withholding state for the military service member
  • DR2667 Affidavit of non-residence. Forms are available at the following website:
    • Section I or II needs to be completed on page two of the form.
Branch Locations for Drop-off Renewals

Once the items are gathered and placed in a sealed envelope they can be submitted for process via our in-office drop boxes located at:

Southeast Motor Vehicle Office
5650 Industrial Pl, 80916

Main Motor Vehicle Office
1675 W. Garden of the Gods Rd, 80907

North Motor Vehicle Office
8830 N. Union Blvd, 80920