Notices and Customer Alerts

The information on this page is of special note to El Paso County residents. Please contact the Recording Department with questions (719) 520-6200 or

Important News: New Recording Fees Effective January 1, 2017
The filing surcharge fee for all recorded documents will be increased by $2.00 for a period of 5 years, January 1, 2017 – December 31, 2021. Added to the previous fee of $1.00, the new total filing surcharge per recorded document will be $3.00.

This additional $2.00 electronic filing surcharge was set by the Electronic Recording Technology Board (ERTB). The ERTB was created by SB16-115.

Effective January 1, 2017 Colorado recording fees will be calculated as follows: With the new $3 surcharge, the amount for the first page is $13.00 and $5.00 for each additional page for all recorded documents.

Property owners may be mailed a Deed Processing Notice, which offers to provide copies of the customer’s Grant Deed and Property Profile at an exorbitant price. This “service” is unnecessary.

You may easily obtain a copy of your deed or other documents from the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder’s office. There is a minimal charge of $0.25 per page. Most deeds are only one page.

Please visit our Recording Department’s Forms Library page for information on requesting a copy. Should you have any questions about this alert, you may contact our Recording Department Manager, Jimmie Van Buskirk,, or 719-520-7074.

Services at all branch offices — Downtown, North, Southeast-Powers and Fort Carson — include issuance of marriage and civil union licenses, standard document recording (no plats, maps or oversized documents), and certified copies of documents from 1996 to present. Documents recorded prior to 1996 are available on microfilm at our Main – Citizens Service Center office only.

If you have a question for the CLERK TO THE COURT (including divorces, child support, adoption, criminal and civil cases, transcripts, jury duty, name change) please visit the Colorado Fourth Judicial District or call (719) 452-5000.

The Recording Department does not maintain birth and death records. Information regarding birth and death certificates may be found on the web page for the County Public Health Department.