To change your name on your Colorado Driver’s License or Identification Card, the first step is to contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to process your name change. The SSA will update their database and your change will be effective the next business day.
You then may process your name change with our office. An original legal document authorizing the change is required. Acceptable examples include:
- Filed certified marriage certificate issued in the U.S.
- Foreign marriage certificates cannot be verified and will not be accepted as a name change document. The El Paso County Recording Department can help those in need of obtaining a Colorado Marriage License. A $30.00 fee will apply.
- Filed certified divorce decree with approval to restore previous name
- Filed certified court order issued by a state or federal court or government
- County or State certified birth certificate
A name change will require the renewal of your Driver’s License, which may be done at any of our four motor vehicle offices.