Purchase from a Colorado or Out-of-State Dealership without Financing

If you purchased your vehicle from a dealership with NO financing, the dealership usually will send you the following documents. In some instances, the dealership will have you pick up the documents or they will submit them to the Motor Vehicle Office. If the paperwork is submitted to the Motor Vehicle Office, you will receive a Title Complete Notice once it has been processed.

  • A current title properly endorsed by the previous owner(s) to the purchaser.
  • If the vehicle has an out-of-state title, a completed VIN Verification Form DR2698. If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state dealership, you will need to have this form completed.
  • A Dealer Bill Of Sale (DR2407) if purchased from a Colorado dealership (if applicable).
  • Sales tax receipt if purchased from a Colorado dealership or a purchase order/bill of sale if purchased from an out-of-state dealership.
  • Proof of current Colorado insurance; must reflect year, make and VIN of vehicle being registered.
  • Secure and Verifiable Identification.
  • If the vehicle is being financed, a copy of the loan document (Security Agreement or Chattel Mortgage).
  • A completed Application for Colorado title DR2395. If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, all owners are required to declare their intent to have the Certificate of Title issued in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. This may be accomplished by completing the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent Form (DR2395). If purchased from an out-of-state dealership this form can be completed by the Motor Vehicle Office at the time of title/registration.

NOTE: This list includes the basic forms which are required. Additional documentation may be needed after the paperwork is reviewed.